Samoa Rugby LeaguePress Release, Date: 25/6/12

Pesega College and Robert Louis Stevenson School battled it out to be the first ever Nigel Vagana Cup champions.The grand final more than lived up to expectations, with a passion-fuelled, tough and physical encounter.

Pesega College played a strong game, leading 12-0 early in the first half. Perry Falute and Leatulagi Lio were the try scorers, with Falute successfully converting both tries.

Robert Louis Stevenson School hit back five minutes before half time with a try to Ezekiel Lindemuth, which was converted by Pisi Leilua. The gap closed to 12-6 at the break.



The second half was a complete turn around for Robert Louis Stevenson School. The team emerged from the break with a refreshed approach and played controlled footy. A tough and physically demanding game ensued with both teams getting into the grind.

It took individual brilliance from RLSS fullback Junior Oteta Taulealo to break the game open, stepping three defenders to open up scoring in the second half. With the conversion missed, Pesega still had a narrow lead 12,10.

Despite being down on the scoreboard, RLSS was in complete control of the game due to the leadership of five eight Klaus Stunzer. Stunzer’s efforts prevailed when he decided to take on the line himself and scored what appeared to be the match-winner under the posts. After a successful conversion from Pisi Leuilua, RLSS seized a 16-12 lead.

Stunzer and his team, however, weren’t finished there. A pin point kick from Stunzer to the corner was pounced upon by Shawn Mose, who planted the ball for another RLSS try. The winger appeared from nowhere and used his great speed to capture the ball. With the conversion from the sideline missed, RLSS extended the lead to 20-12.

Being more than a converted try in front, RLSS was in a good position to win the game. Good discipline and awareness from the young side ensured the team played the full 60 minutes to secure the 20-12 victory over a strong Pesega team.