Canberra Raiders players Shannon Boyd and Joseph Leilua are among ten players added to the Kangaroos Train-On Squad ahead of the October 15 Test against New Zealand in Perth and the Four Nations in the UK.
Boyd and Leilua join Cowboys co-captains Johnathan Thurston and Matt Scott, as well as Michael Morgan and Justin O’Neill, in the train-on squad.
Kangaroos Coach Mal Meninga said he was pleased with the potential for the Four Nations squad based on the Prime Minister’s XIII’s 58-0 victory over the Papua New Guinea Prime Minister’s XIII in Port Moresby last Saturday.
“The squad is taking shape very well,” Meninga said.
“I was really pleased with the performance of a number of players in Port Moresby and it enhanced my thoughts on a number of players.
“To add these experienced players, as well as a handful of younger guys, to the train-on squad puts us in a very strong position.”
Players selected in the Prime Minister’s XIII will gain automatic consideration for the Kangaroos train-on squad.
The additions to the train-on squad are as follows:
• Johnathan Thurston (North Queensland Cowboys)
• Matt Scott (North Queensland Cowboys)
• Michael Morgan (North Queensland Cowboys)
• Justin O’Neill (North Queensland Cowboys)
• James Tamou (North Queensland Cowboys)
• Josh Papalii (Canberra Raiders)
• Shannon Boyd (Canberra Raiders)
• Joseph Leilua (Canberra Raiders)
• Jarrod Croker (Canberra Raiders)
• Junior Paulo (Canberra Raiders)
The Kangaroos squad will be announced in early October.