Edinburgh Eagles claim Scottish Rugby League title

A hat trick from player/coach Craig Robertson and perfect goal kicking via the boot of Pete Burns ensured Edinburgh Eagles were crowned Scotland RL champions for the twelfth time, defeating Forth Valley Vikings 48-24 at Glensburgh, Grangemouth.

“It was a great day and result. Everything we worked on went to plan and we were rewarded for the effort and work ethic of the whole squad, not just those that played today,” said Craig Robertson. Eagles’ captain, Lewis Clarke, added: “It was always to goal at the start of the season to win the Grand Final and hopefully get a place in the Challenge Cup next year. Credit to Forth Valley, they’ve made us work for it this year.”

The game was only two minutes old when Bill Rokobuli crashed over for the opening score for the Eagles, adding a second on nine minutes after Mark Robertson managed to smuggle the ball out of the tackle for his winger to go in unopposed.

Play ebbed and flowed as Forth Valley started to settle and get a foothold in the game. They were rewarded on 22 minutes when free-scoring hooker Duncan Arthur went over for his first of the afternoon. Euan Edmond couldn’t at the extras, nor could he to Callum Williamson’s try on 34 minutes, but at 12-8 it was all to play for with half time approaching.

Whatever was said behind the posts fired up the Eagles as they ran in back-to-back tries just before the break from Clarke and Craig Robertson to give them a 24-8 halftime lead.

The men from the capital hit a purple patch early in the second period, posting three touchdowns in seven minutes. Craig Robertson added his second, Mark Robertson went over on 57 minutes in his last game for the Eagles before he heads to Malta, and Sean Taylor slid over in the corner just after the hour mark.

League Leaders Shield winners, The Vikings, rallied as Arthur crossed for his second and prolific loose-forward Gregor Ramsay added his name to the scoresheet following the sinbinning of Eagles Keni Dakuidreketi.

Man of the Match Craig Robertson’s hat trick score and Burns’ eighth conversion extinguished any chance of a Forth Valley comeback. Not to be outdone, Arthur added his third try on 78 minutes, Edmond with his second conversion.

Forth Valley Vikings coach, Kris Illingworth, felt that while the result didn’t go their way, there were plenty of positives. “We’ve made big progress since we started three years ago and that’s shown this season,” he said. “It’s obviously disappointing to fall short at the final hurdle but we won the League Leaders shield and I couldn’t be prouder of the boys.” His sentiments were echoed by back row Jordan Usher. “It was a very tough, physical game as expected. It was a great effort from all of the lads but, unfortunately, we just weren’t good enough on the day. The progress we’ve made over three years is massive and we look forward to going again next season.”



1 Roserutabua Tawanavavulala

2 Sean Taylor

3 Brodie Wilson

4 Mark Robertson

5 Bill Rokobuli

6 Lewis Clarke (C)

7 Pete Burns

8 Paul Wilson

9 Apenai Kororua

10 Max Filby

11 Craig Robertson

12 Josh O’Brien

13 Jordan Duncan


14 Tukana Taoi

15 Terry Logan

16 Orisi Waibuta

17 Keni Dakuidreketi

18 Inosi Korovavala

Tries: C. Robertson (3), Rokobuli (2), M. Robertson, Clarke, Taylor

Goals: Burns 8/8


1 Callum Williamson

2 Ryan Butterworth

3 Lee Cairney (C)

4 Marc Murray

5 Gregor Lumsden

6 Daniel Cockcroft

7 Euan Edmond

8 Robert Hodge

9 Duncan Arthur

10 Sam Herron

11 Jordan Usher

12 Gregor McKinnon

13 Gregor Ramsay


14 Taylor Paul

15 David Grainey

16 Cole Ronald

17 David Cree

18 Mark Burke

Tries: Arthur (3), Williamson, Ramsay

Goals: Edmond 2/5

Half time: 24-8

Referee: Luke Fenton

Photo credit – Jax McKenzie Photography