Wales U16 lift silverware after beating England

Please see four match reports below, from England v Wales U16 and U18, plus two matches from the WRL Wheelchair Invitational League.



Andy Morgan at Leigh Miners Rangers

Wales became the first-ever Four Nations champions at under 16s level after beating England Lions 38-18 in Leigh.

The victory left Wales unbeaten at the top of the standings after big wins over Ireland and Scotland earlier this year.

Wales ran in seven tries in a comprehensive win, with Henry Parker’s try and five goals contributing 14 of his side’s points.

It’s the first time that there’s ever been an organised competition for U16s in rugby league and head coach, Paul Berry was delighted that it was his side who lifted the silverware.

He said: “The lads deserved the win today and I think we’ve been the most consistent team all year in the competition. The performances we’ve had have been building for a period of time, leading to a winner takes all game today.

“The collective effort over the last few months has really paid dividends.”

It all started as early as the fifth minute when Nathan Davies went over for Wales’ first try and Parker converted.

England soon levelled after a good set that saw Nathaniel Parker score, with Jack Bibey converting.

But after that, Wales took control and were 28-6 up at half-time thanks to tries from Joseph Johnson, Jake Nottingham, Henry Parker and Kaden Johnson, all scored in 20 minutes before the break. Parker converted three of them.

England couldn’t recover from that and were further frustrated after their coach was sent to the stands and Bibey was given a yellow card. Jacob Jones managed a further try during the ten-minute spell when they had a one-player advantage to put the game beyond England’s reach.

But that didn’t stop the home side for attempting a come-back. Tries from Jayden Aaron and Lucas Mulqueeny, both improved by Bibey brought the score back to 32-18

However Wales sealed their victory seven minutes before the end when Jacob Morris dived in under the sticks and Parker converted.

ENGLAND LIONS U16: Jaylen Conway (Hensingham), Diego Walker (Leigh Miners Rangers), Alex Golighty (Bentley), Kian Goodhand (West Hull), Oliver Shallcross (West Hull), Lewis Pilling (Blackbrook Royals), Nathaniel Parker (West Bank Bears), Arben Pervizaj (Hensingham), Lucas Mulqueeny (Crosfields), Alfie Cox (Wath Brow Hornets), Henley Donnan (Hensingham), Layton Dockray (Wath Brow Hornets), Jack Bibey (Leigh Miners Rangers). Subs: Stan Beaumont (Hull Wyke), Lloyd Stainton (Egremont Rangers), Jayden Aaron (Ashton Bears), Zac Mannion (Salford City Roosters), Xavier Dele Charley (West Bank Bears), Jack Jones (Shaw Cross Sharks), Tyler Sykes (Dewsbury Celtic)

WALES U16: Samuel Dickenson (Woolston Rovers), Joseph Johnson (Aber Valley Wolves), Sam Grice (York Acorn), Morgan Marozzelli (Aber Valley Wolves), Jacob Jones (Bridgend Blue Bulls), Kai Sengul (Aber Valley Wolves), Henry Parker (Aber Valley Wolves), Harri Jacob (Torfaen Tigers), Finlay Walker (Aber Valley Wolves), Nathan Davies (Bridgend Blue Bulls), Kaden Johnson (Crosfields), Jake Nottingham (Bridgend Blue Bulls), Kade Woodward (Torfaen Tigers). Subs: Iestyn Jones (Torfaen Tigers), Ryan Jones (Aber Valley Wolves), Owain Martin (Bridgend Blue Bulls), Jacob Morris (Cynon Valley Cavaliers), Jake Sheppard (Torfaen Tigers), Alex Green (Bridgend Blue Bulls)

Referee: Kristian Silcock. Half-time: 6-28



Andy Morgan at Leigh Miners Rangers

England overcame Wales at U18 level, winning 32-16, but they’ll need to wait six weeks before knowing if they’re champions.

Their win puts England top of the table with two wins out of three and a points difference of plus 44. Ireland and Scotland meet at the end of October and both are on negative points differences, Ireland on minus 14 and Scotland on minus 28, so a big win is needed by one of those Celtic nations to take the title.

Wales, who are now guaranteed second or third place in the table, went 12-0 down early on in the game through Dylan Grears and Tom Farren with Harley Nelson converting both, but a Harrison Doe try in the corner just before the break gave them hope.

England quickly extended their lead as five minutes into the second half, they were 22-4 up. First Joshua Blinkhorn scored near the corner, then Devan Sharp’s try under the sticks made it easy for George Jamieson to convert.

Wales refused to give up and Alex Banks’ try and Alex Banks’ try, converted by Llewellyn Hawkes, brought them back into the game.


But England sealed the game as Blinkhorn scored a brace to complete his hat-trick with Jamieson converting once. Jayden Grey got a late consolation try for Wales that Hawkes improved.

WALES U18: Dylan Morgan* (London Broncos), Brandon Richards* (Bridgend Blue Bulls), Oliver Ford* (Aber Valley Wolves), Donavan Rankin (Bridgend Blue Bulls), Harrison Doe (Bridgend Blue Bulls), Charlie Stoddart (Bridgend Blue Bulls), Llewellyn Hawkes (Bridgend Blue Bulls), Alex Banks* (Torfaen Tigers), Dafydd Morgan* (London Broncos), Connor Lacey* (Cynon Valley Cavaliers/Salford Red Devils), Jamie Jenkins (Cardiff Blue Dragons), George Birch (London Broncos), Charlie Glover (Halton Farnworth Hornets/Salford Red Devils). Subs: Mason Apsee* (Rhondda Outlaws), Jayden Grey (Bridgend Blue Bulls), Lewis Jones* (Aber Valley Wolves), Bryce Roberts (Rhondda Outlaws), Cole MacDonald* (Aber Valley Wolves), Calum Jones* (Rhondda Outlaws), Ethan Stebbings (Aber Valley Wolves)

* = were also part of the WRL National Development Academy at Coleg y Cymoedd in 2023

ENGLAND U18: Harry Sheridan (Rochdale Mayfield), Daniel Knott (Dalton), Oliver Smart (Siddal), Henry Ogden (Siddal), Harley Nelson (Kells), George Jameson (Salford Roosters), Devan Sharp (Wath Brow Hornets), Dylan Grears (Kells), Scott Simmons (Pilkington Recs), Luke Sutcliffe (Blackbrook Royals), Keane Elms (Blackbrook Royals), Ben Metcalf (Rochdale Mayfield), Tom Farren (Roose Pioneers). Subs: Joshua Blinkhorn (Millom), Jack Lawler (West Hull), Malachi Price (Wigan St Judes), Lewis Davies (Pilkington Recs), Jacob Haigh (Siddal), Harry Barker (Waterhead Warriors), Miller Dalton (Hensingham).

Referee: Lewis O’Brien. Half-time 12-4


Ian Golden at Leominster Leisure Centre

Argonauts qualified for the inaugural WRL Wheelchair Invitational League Grand Final in four weeks’ time after a 100-4 mauling of Torfaen Tigers.

The Kent-based side were 66-0 up at half-time with their three international players running the show. Ireland captain Peter Johnston scored five tries and five conversions, a couple of them from beyond the half-way line and Fred Nye, who has also played for Ireland, managed six first-half tries. Former Wales international Richard Carver added one, with Rob Cooper adding four goals for their mammoth interval score.

It took 11 minutes for Argonauts to score in the second half, following a good spell of attacking play from Torfaen, but it was eventually Nye who scored his seventh of the game. Argonauts kept on scoring with Johnston getting three, Keiron Hammond two and Nye one. Because Torfaen were forcing Argonauts into the corner to score, just the last of the tries was converted with Scott Cooper’s kick making the score 96-0. Then Torfaen finally got on the scoresheet with Leighton Morris scoring in the corner on 75 minutes. Argonauts had the last say with Hammond’s third try bringing up the century.

Hereford Harriers kept up their charge for a place in the Grand Final after beating North Wales Crusaders 80-36. A win over Cardiff Blue Dragons in a fortnight will see them qualify alongside Argonauts.

A fantastic individual try by Jacob Robinson gave Hereford the lead after just two minutes. Gary Preece soon added the second which he converted, then Wales head coach Alan Caron added the third. A stunning catch from Robinson gave him Hereford’s fourth, with Preece converting both. Further Hereford tries, from Matthew Wooloff and Robinson, followed, with Wooloff converting both to give them a 34-0 lead.

Finally, Crusaders struck back on the half-hour as Stephen Halsey went in under the sticks and converted his own try. Halsey repeated his actions a few minutes later before John Doyle went over and Halsey converted again and the Crusaders had pulled it back to being 34-18 down at the break.

Hereford quickly extended their lead in the second half as Robinson scored his fourth and Preece converted, and whilst they didn’t ever lose their advantage, Crusaders refused to give up. It was 62-18 before Crusaders got further back into the game with two Martin Turner tries and one from Wyatt Jones. Halsey converted all three.

Preece, scored two of Hereford’s eight tries after the break to complete his hat-trick but it was Robinson who really impressed, scoring another two to complete a hat-trick in each half. Phillip Davies, Wooloff and Holley also went over. Preece added four more conversions and Wooloff two.